Introduction to Dynatrace Apps
With the introduction of Dynatrace Apps, Dynatrace provides the possibility to build custom functionality on top of all the observability data ingested into Dynatrace in the form of custom apps. A Dynatrace App consists of two main components, a user interface written in React/TypeScript and a serverless backend, which allows you to run app functions written in TypeScript.
The following areas make AppEngine unique:
- Logic to data: With AppEngine, you bring logic to data. Writing apps on the Dynatrace platform allows you to utilize the capabilities like Smartscape on Grail and Davis AI to solve your custom use cases close to where the data is stored.
- Secure and scalable app runtime: AppEngine adds security to your data by ensuring logic and data stay within the security boundaries and everything runs within a defined scope. Furthermore, AppEngine makes sure your app scales up to your needs.
- Integrates your environment: AppEngine enables you to create any integration to third party systems, thinkable or necessary, to solve all your custom use cases.
Dynatrace Apps are self-contained and focus on specific use cases. However, a Dynatrace App isn't an isolated application. It interacts with the capabilities of the Dynatrace platform via APIs, with other Apps via intents, or with publicly available third-party systems. Dynatrace Apps can also interact with your on-premises systems via EdgeConnect, which you can run in your corporate network.
The user interface of a Dynatrace App is written as a React single-page application and uses TypeScript to enhance the developer experience. The Dynatrace platform provides an extensive toolchain to make the life of an app developer as easy as possible:
- The Strato design system and design tokens provide fundamental and customizable UI components.
- TypeScript SDKs allow Apps to interact with the Dynatrace platform services (querying data, document service, state service, etc.).
- The Dynatrace App Toolkit allows you to easily create, build, and deploy both apps and their functions.